Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On Food in Tourningal

A Local Food Lover’s Paradise—Rural Africa
Little did I know that I am en vogue. . I’m en vogue due to my unconscientiously supporting the local food movement these past 2 years. Living in Rural Africa makes following this trend very easy. Particularly, not knowing how to cook and eating at my neighbor’s houses nightly who don’t buy packaged, industrialized goods has made this effort very possible.
This past 9 months I have read Fast Food Nation, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, three books that in someway or another mentioned the importance of supporting local food growers, as opposed to the industrial large corporations that have taken over the American Food System. Prior to coming to the Peace Corps, when I was getting by during college by scarfing down muffins and peanut butter, eating locally rarely crossed my mind. I considered myself a very typical college student, one who inwardly supported all the a la mode causes, but who oftentimes lived hypocritically not vocalizing my opinion nor trying to inform others to abide by causes I believed to be important. Rushing, busy, liberal-minded career oriented Americans are often guilty of hypocrisy, knowing it would be wonderful to support such or such cause, but not finding the time to actually abide by its’ tenets. That was me with the local food movement.
Then I entered PC and was shipped to Rural Africa, amidst an agricultural hinterland, amongst agriculturalists who earn their bread and butter by having a good harvest. If they don’t have a good harvest their family will suffer and, potentially, starve or become sick from malnutrition. Hence, the importance of my community to carefully respect their land and their animals who fertilize their land. I cringe when I see the onset of fertilizers on the farmer’s fields and the perhaps long-term ramifications of using these fertilizers in a haphazard fashion. The food that my villagers grow is the food that they use to sustain themselves throughout the year. Corn, similar to in the US, is their main crop. Although their cornfields are not nearly as neat and stacked as the typical fertilizer entrenched US corn field, a typical family’s corn field, will give them enough corn flour to provide an average family of 8 people enough main substance of food for 12 months. This is what my base has been for the last two years—corn flour.
Then, comes the sauces and vegetables to go with the boiled corn flour. All of my vegetables that I have eaten these past few years have come from local grown gardens not more than a few km. away from my house! These have provided luscious, savory sauces. Opposite as to most Americans, here we eat what is in season, during their respectful seasons, especially since there is no refrigeration. Meaning, when squash is ripe (Novermber-January) we eat squash everyday. Avocado season (December-March) is replete with daily avocado salads and sandwiches. Mango season (March-May) is my favorite; chock full of juicy, vitamin laden mangoes that are tasty as a dessert or snack alike. Sure there are days that I have felt lethargic and consequently pinpointed my low-blood sugar due to the dearth of vitamins.
Contrary to the occasional shortage of fruits and vegetables, one can get their share of protein without too much effort. Meat is available nearly every other day and if one has the means, one could also splurge and buy chicken, sheep or goats. The other week during the feast of the goat, Tabaski, I had sheep nearly 5-10 times a day. I think I’ve eaten enough sheep to get me through the next few years.
Dairy is also abundant in my village, due to its being surrounded by cows and cow herders. Especially during the rainy season every morning, while I go for my run at 5:30, men will go to milk the cows. While I’m getting my share of exercise by running, others are getting their exercise by walking kilometers away to milk the cows. Unfortunately there is no refrigeration. However, there are also no chemicals nor preservatives added to the milk. I have gotten inured to the taste of fresh, hearty milk, (of course boiled beforehand). Yogurt can also be ordered in advance. Coffee can also be grown in my village, however, it is a rather new crop.
As far as fast food is concerned, there is none. People eat three meals a day at home. It is rare to see food packaging and waste like we have in America. Hence, why my plastic containers that contain my various purchases such as powdered milk and peanut butter are so coveted. Household trash is severely mitigated due to buying locally, not having the means to buy westernized food items and not having refrigeration.
TO BE CONTINUED, MAYBE.

No comments: